Blog

Latest Industry News

August 27, 2015

Why Buying a Used Car Saves the Planet

We’ve mentioned before how buying a used car instead of a new one saves you a lot of money – and not just in the price of the car.

Buying used also means you’re helping the planet.

How so? Read on

TheGuardian.com back in 2010 reported that the carbon footprint (how much carbon dioxide is spewed into the atmosphere for any given activity) of manufacturing a new, medium-sized car (one that cost about £24,000 that year, or about £27,000 in 2015 pounds, the equivalent of about $42,000 today in the U.S.) could generate more than 17 tonnes of carbon dioxide (17 tonnes is about 19 tons in U.S. ton measurement).

PBS Radio’s CarTalk program in 2010 reported that the “average car [in the U.S.] emits about six tons of carbon dioxide every year.” So it would take you about three years of driving a new car before the amount of carbon it emits equals the amount created just by its manufacture!

Therefore you can save the planet those 19 tons of CO2 created during a new car’s manufacture by skipping the new car entirely and buying a used car.

In addition, a 2009 ScientificAmerican.com article reported on two studies:

  1. Toyota in 2004 found that “as much as 28 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions generated [by a typical gas-powered car] can occur during its manufacture and its transportation to the dealer.” (The car emits the remaining 72 percent when the new owner drives it.)
  2. Japan’s Seikei University earlier put the manufacturing/dealer delivery carbon dioxide amount at 12 percent.

Buying used also is greener than buying a new hybrid car. The Wall Street Journal in March 2013 reported that “almost half the lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions from an electric car come from the energy used to produce the car, especially the battery.” (Mining the lithium for the car’s battery particularly adds to the car’s manufacturing-process carbon footprint.) In fact, according to the WSJ article, the making of an electric car alone emits 30,000 pounds (15 tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere.

So, once again, a used car wins: by skipping a new car, you’re not spewing additional tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

Always buy a used car. You save money, yo  let its first owner take on the burden of considerable – and immediate – depreciation, you pay less in taxes and registration fees…and you spew less CO2 into the atmosphere. Mother Nature thanks you.

Looking for a great new car in Granbury? Visit PAACO! We’ll help you find a reliable and affordable used car. Give us a call at 877-810-4555 for more information on our used car sales and financing services.

Image courtesy njaj/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Back to top